Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Braised Beef with Fresh Chinese Noodles
1/2 lb egg noodles (I used Chinese egg noodles)
1 lb lean beef
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated
1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
2 1/2 tablespoons oil
2 1/2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
1/2 cup mirin
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup duck broth or 1/2 cup chicken broth (I like chicken broth)
4 teaspoons water
6 green onions, sliced (for garnish)
* Add Chinese cabbage
1. Cook the noodles in salted boiling water just until tender; drain, and rinse under cold water.
2. Slice the beef into very thin slices.
3. Mix together the garlic, salt, ginger, cooking wine, and five-spice powder, and add the mixture to the beef; mix.
4. Heat the oil and saute the beef over high heat for 2 minutes.
5. Mix together the soy sauce and broth, and add it to the beef; bring to a boil. Cook until beef is fork tender.
6. Add noodles, mix well and heat thoroughly.
7. Add the green onions & Chinese cabbage, and stir for another minute.
8. Serve immediately. You can also add fried garlic for topping.