Marinade (keep refrigerated for 2 - 3 hours before grilling)
* 1 (8 ounce) container fat-free plain yogurt
* 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (for topping after grilling)
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon of Montreal seasoning
* 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
* 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch pieces
* 1 large red onion, cut into wedges (optional)
* 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (optional)
Note: You can substitute chicken with flank steak or shrimp.
Homemade Rice Pilaf Greek Style
2 c. rice
1 stick butter
1 tsp. saffron
4 c. meat stock (I used chicken)
1/2 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper
Melt butter in skillet and brown rice 5-8 minutes. Gradually add hot meat stock and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, with cover on. Add salt and pepper and cook until the rice is done. All liquid should be absorbed by the rice when it is well done. Add peas towards the end. Allow to stand a few minutes before serving. Serves 4.
Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
You can get the recipe here. I made my own version.
I didn't buy English cucumbers. I used the regular cucumbers and removed the seeds. I grated the halved cucumbers and squeezed the juice. If you don't do this your sauce will get watery. I added the freshly squeezed cucumbers in a bowl and added 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 1 cup of Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese, salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp. cumin and freshly chopped dill. This sauce is a nice refreshing dip or sauce for your chicken kabobs.